Sunday, January 16, 2011

More Potty Training

Potty Training continues! I have a feeling if I looked at my posts in the past 6 months, that most would be about potty training. I think I wrote before about my laid-back approach, which works fine- up to a point. I think it also really depends on each individual child, and having twins seriously underscores that.

I have had four weeks off of work (woohoo!) and I was going to get more serious with potty training. I waited until after Christmas, and I knew that the girls had pretty good control of their bladders. Not perfect, but I felt like they needed an extra nudge in the right direction. So, they went bare bottom for a few days. The first two days were great! Everyone went peepee on the potty, no accidents, I kept thinking, "ok, really?! Is it going to be this easy??" But, of course, it is not. The third day was AWFUL. Awful. Having accidents, M even had an "accident" on purpose! I gave up on that day and the next. Then I went back to bare bottoms, and it went better. I tried putting the thicker training undies on the girls, but S would go in them. I think she thought they were just like pull ups.

I continued on with bare bottoms- mostly with S. I am now asking M if she wants pull ups or nothing, and today she chose pullups. S has been so well that today we took a fairly short trip out and she wore undies. I was scared! But I was prepared with pullups, pants to change into, and a travel potty. It seemed like she knew she could not go in her undies this time. She also had a skirt on and did not want to get it wet and change into pants. I think we were gone for about an hour and a half to two hours. I took her potty before we left, when we got to our destination I wanted to her to use the travel potty, but she said no. Then, when we were done and got back in the car, I had her sit on the travel potty. She went a little, and then held the rest until we got home and went on her potty.

I know there will be setbacks, but this is great! Potty Training really is a long term thing. "They" don't really make it seem like that- especially the people who tout the 3-day potty training stuff- but it is a process. A long process. I am convinced that being laid back is best, for my girls, and sometimes they need a nudge, but it is a constant assessment of their needs.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am so not looking forward to this...mine need to be done by the time they start their 3's program in September and I am dreading it.

Keep up the hard work...it will happen...it just might send you over the edge in the meantime!

Ashley R said...

Oh, potty training. I'm not going to like that one when it's time! I found you on Tag Back Tuesday! I now follow you on GFC!

I'd love for you to drop by my blog and follow me back! :) Thanks!

Ashley
http://thereynoldsmom.blogspot.com/

Maria said...

I agree, the laid back approach is best! That's whats working for Jack! :)