Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Maternity Leave

I finally have it all figured out! Maternity leave is super confusing, especially for teachers. Even though I am a state employee, I do not get SDI or anything. It's all different. Awhile ago I went and talked to payroll, and they of course scared me. Told me that unless my doctor approved time out before I give birth, I couldn't take ANY. Then, I could only stay out 6 or 8 weeks after birth. Any more time, I would have to get the doctor to approve it. Even though I have enough sick days to cover it. Oh, and those 6 or 8 weeks? That also gets taken out of my sick leave. Which makes no sense to me.

So I was getting worried that my doctor wouldn't approve extra time off, because I have heard stories of that happening. Luckily I have the coolest OB in the world and he told me he would approve any time before and after birth! That made me feel a lot better. I was still a little worried because I wasn't sure about my sick leave. But I calculated it out, and it works out so that I can use all my sick leave and half sick leave, and disability will cover the other part that the half sick leave does not. So that is a huge relief that I don't have to worry about my pay for the rest of the year or going back to work!

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

woohooo on figuring it all out! I am in the trenches of reading about my maternity leave right now

MY JOURNEY TO A HAPPY HEALTHIER ME.... said...

It shouldn't be that difficult..but I know that it is- you work for the state after all, LOL :) I am glad that it is all working out, I knew that you would get it figured out one way or another. Hey, one less thing to stress about before the holidays, now you can relax a little- you are doing that aren't you?! Just kidding- kick back and relax for a bit- you deserve it, after all it sounds like hubby is doing all the nesting that needs to be taking care of for the time being....keeping you all in my thoughts- sending you lots of love and holiday wishes!