Sunday, July 27, 2008

One Year Ago

One year ago yesterday, I got the phone call that I had a positive beta. It was the best day of my life! After almost 2 years of trying to conceive, we were finally pregnant. Of course, because I had a chemical a couple of months prior, I was still nervous. Even though my beta was 311. I remember going in for my second beta and the nurse asked me if I was nervous about multiples, and I said, "No, I'm nervous about it not sticking!" We got the second beta and it had way more than doubled so we allowed ourselves to get more excited. It was amazing after all the tests, the horrible HSG, awful clomid, and having to inject myself- which I thought I'd NEVER be able to do, I was pregnant. It was definitely worth the wait and I am so thankful that we were able to get pregnant. And now I have 2 wonderful daughters- I couldn't have asked for anything better. Getting pregnant, giving birth, and raising children is truly a miracle, and so wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much has happened for you in the last year! If someone would have told you all that would happen to you this past year on that day you wouldn't have believed it!

On your last post you talked about trying to get the girls to sleep by themselves. I have no info to offer (I'd like some myself!). I had to choose having the twins sleep with me so I could get sleep since I have to get up for work in the mornings. That hasn't changed! All 3 kids sleep with me and my poor husband sleeps in a twin-sized bed in our 2nd bedroom (which kind of works out because he's on call a lot and his phone would wake me up). Right now there isn't a way to change it since our house is too small. When the new house is done the kids will each have their own room. I have no idea how I'm going to get them into their own beds!

I do know that I'm not one to let a kid "cry it out." I tried it quite a few times, but couldn't take it. My boy twin cried so hard he had trouble breathing and threw up. Also, the doctor told me that sometimes preemies have trouble with self soothing. It took my twins awhile to figure out how to calm themselves down when they were tired (they cried, and cried and cried!!). Being held helped. Pacifiers didn't. The thing that helped them the most was when they took to their security blankets. They MUST have them to sleep to this day (their 2 years old now).

Good luck with the sleeping issues. There is nothing harder with twins than being sleep deprived. I'm so glad your husband is willing to help you out! It will get better! Once they start sitting up and then crawling they'll be so worn out they'll sleep a lot better.

Anonymous said...

I'm publishing this as anonymous just in case this question upsets you at all (it's about the reduction, so if you don't want to continue reading, you don't have to). I'm trying not to be insensitive and if you don't want to answer this question, you by no means need to it is just something I am curious about and would need to consider if we were faced with such a terrible decision. I guess I just want to know if you are ever troubled by thoughts about what would have happened if you had chosen not to go through with the reduction? Did you tell your family/friends about the reduction? Also, do you ever think of your girls as triplets? And one more thing, are you going to tell your girls when they are older that your pregnancy started out as a triplet pregnancy? Once again, I'm so sorry if these questions are insensitive or cause you any pain at all. I'm also sorry if this was a weird place to post this comment, with the anniversary of your BFP (congrats on your beautiful girls btw!). Feel under no obligation to answer them if you don't want to. Thanks.