Monday, March 24, 2008

The Birth Story

I was scheduled for an induction on March 20th, but hoping I would go into labor on my own! Luckily, that happened! I went to bed Sunday March 16th, woke up at about 2 am to pee and when I stood up, I felt a small gush. I thought, ok that was either my water breaking or some discharge – which I had been having more of. I went to the bathroom and it had soaked through my liner, so I knew! It also kept trickling down me after I went to the bathroom. I couldn’t believe it!

I got DH up, I took a shower, we made sure we had everything and went in. Now, I was a little nervous about going in at night because both times I had been at night previously I had the worst night nurses. This time, however, they were great! I was hooked up to the monitors and I was contracting, but they weren’t hurting – just uncomfortable as they had been for weeks. My blood pressure was also high, but I’m pretty sure it was because I was nervous! I was also about to ask if they did have the instructions to call my doctor for delivery, but they came in and let me know they did have that. I was nervous about that since the week prior to that they did not have that info.

Finally I was admitted and taken to the labor and delivery room! A nurse came in to give me my iv, and this was probably one of the worst parts. She stuck me TWICE and couldn’t get it. The other nurse came in, found another vein and got it in perfectly – finally! The on-call doctor came to check on me, and we waited awhile to see if my contractions would start up. I also wanted to wait until 7 am to start pitocin, if needed, because I really wanted my doctor to be around. A little later, the on call doctor came back, my contractions were not doing anything, so she said she would start the pitocin. I had to tell her to wait until 7, which was fine. She was just thinking I wanted to get on with it!

At 7, they started the pitocin. It wasn’t bad at first, finally started getting some good contractions which got stronger. It was funny because I was fine between contractions. During the contraction, it hurt, but not super bad – definitely different than what I had imagined but not worse. It was hard for me to decide about getting the epidural since the pain wasn’t super bad at the time, but it was getting worse and really what did it was that I was contracting frequently and I thought how am I going to deal with hours of contractions with little rest in between? So I got the epidural, which I was most nervous about. I didn’t like getting it. I also jumped a little!!! Which of course scared me. I wasn’t expecting all the pressure – even though he had said there would be pressure. But then it was done and I was fine and getting pain relief!

You would think at this point I could relax, but no way! I kept worrying about things and getting anxious and excited, so no rest for me! I had DH call our childbirth class instructor because she had said she would love to be there for the birth. DH left her a message, and I hoped she would get it! At around noon, my doctor came in to check on me and said I would start pushing at 1:15!

Finally, it was time to push! That was difficult with the epidural and I couldn’t even move my legs even though I had tried to let it wear off. Thankfully, my childbirth class instructor showed up, and she was a GREAT help! DH was also fabulous with his counting and support! Now, the whole time I’m pushing I could only think: I HOPE I am making progress because I DO NOT want a c-section!!! Then, the nurses would check me and tell me I was doing great and making progress, but I didn’t believe them, I kept thinking, they are only saying this to make me feel better!! I pushed for about 2 hours and the doctor was called in! I also got to see the head when it was visible. I never thought I would want to see that, but it was a HUGE motivator and really helped me.

As soon as the doctor showed up, it was pretty crazy, all these people rush in and break the bed apart, lights come down, and you know this is it! I pushed some more and finally Sofia was born! She was born at 3:21 pm weighing 6lbs 1 oz. and 18.25 inches long. Next was Maya! She came right out at 3:24 pm weighing 4 lbs. 8oz. and 17.5 inches long.

Maya had some blood sugar issues – she was borderline low, so they had to feed her formula to get that up. Luckily her blood sugar came up and she did not have to go to the NICU!

Giving birth was an amazing experience, and I am so glad and thankful that I did get to experience it.

Some Photos:
Just born:


MichelleAnn said...

Your birth story is great! Thank you for sharing it! The girls are beautiful!

E said...

Wow - thanks so much for sharing. The girls are so gorgeous! Congratulations!


Heather- I am so proud of you! Your experience sounds so amazing- I am so glad that everything went they way you wanted it and that you had such a beautiful birth story to share- and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
The girls are gorgeous- more than words can say! I have to say that I am a little jealous- as you were describing the experience- as the nurses came in that excitment of the moment, that is the part of my job that rush of adrenaline- that new lives are about to come into the world- that is one of the parts of my job that I love and miss by not being there. But too be there when it is someone that you know it makes that experience even so much more special.
I am so glad that everything went so well with the girls and that they were able to stay with you and no trips to the NICU were needed- I knew that they would be good girls- they look like two perfect little princesses who I am sure already have Daddy wrapped around their adorable little fingers.
Keeping you and your new little family in my thoughts- sending you tons of love and wishing you some rest periods ;)
Again- Congratulations!!!!!

Fertilized said...

YEAH - HI girls! How wonderful

vramsey79 said...

What a great experience it sounds like you had. It's great that you got your wish and had a vaginal birth. Your girls are absolutly beautiful. Congratulations!!!!

nola said...

Such cuties! Maya looks so small in her car seat. I can't believe they're here already, I'm so glad you had a good experience. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you, mommy!

FallinWoman said...

Yay! They are so beautiful, Heather! I love how tiny Maya looks in the car seat. I also love the second to last pic....Sofia in a doo-rag! You can almost picture her as a rebellious teenager!

Anonymous said...

WOW that was amazing. Your girls are small and just gorgeous. Congrats.

Mrs. Piggy said...

Wow, the story was great, and then the pictures? Tears, they are such beautiful little girls. Wow, I'm so amazed. You made this seem SO easy! Congrats. I cant wait to hear more.

Jeannette said...

Your girls are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

Hilary said...

Precious!!!! They are beautiful!!

Novel said...

They are beautiful...perfect. Many congratulations to you and hubby. Hope all goes smoothly now and that you get some rest :o)

finally pregnant! said...

Who was your childbirth instructor? I am dying to get a good one, sounds like you liked yours! Was she only geared towards multiples? I've only got one in here!! :)congrats!!!

Kim said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girls, mama! :D

Nichole from FF said...


Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Your baby girls are beautiful!

Malky B. said...

adorable. Maya looks bigger than 4pnds 8 oz. They are beautiful.

Donna said...

Beautiful little girls so lucky to be born to such loving parents.